There are two major things to keep in mind if you want to improve your table tennis game: practicing correctly and having a good ping pong paddle. We’ll leave the practice part to you and help you with getting the best ping pong paddle for you. The right paddle can easily take your game from ordinary to extraordinary. The way it fits in your hand, design of the paddle, the kind of rubber on its surface can all change your game drastically. The importance of having a perfect ping pong paddle should not be ignored.
However, when you search for a ping pong paddle on Amazon, you will be bombarded with all kinds of paddles ranging from $10 to $400+. So, how do you choose the best racket for yourself? Well, you’re in luck because whether you are an amateur or experienced player, there are only a few key features that you need to look for to find the best racket for you. Here, we will walk you through exactly what you need to know.
So, if you are looking for a good ping pong paddle that is in your budget and complements your playing style and skill level, then your search ends here! We have compiled a list of the best ping pong paddles. We have carefully chosen the best rackets for every price range. Not only that, but we have also categorized paddles based on your skill level, style of play, and grip.
Also, in case you would like to learn about the different specifications of a paddle and what role they play, we have included a comprehensive guide for you to learn in detail about the blade, rubbers, sponge, handle, and many more important things about a table tennis racket.
So, without further ado, let’s review the best ping pong paddles in 2020.
The Best Ping Pong Paddle for Spin Reviewed
Our Top Pick: STIGA Pro Carbon Performance-Level Ping Pong Paddle
Our top pick is one of the most popular ping pong paddles from one of the world’s leading table tennis brands. It is a very-well built bat with good performance and tons of positive reviews on Amazon.
Stiga Pro Carbon is a premium racket with many advanced technologies to give it speed, spin, and control all at the same time. If we talk about its basic features, it comes with an ITTF approved S5 rubber and a sponge of 2 mm. ITTF approved means that you can play with this racket at any tournament without any worries. It has a 7-ply ultra-light blade.
The Stiga Pro Carbon boasts two layers of high-quality carbon integrated into the blade. These two layers of carbon enhance its response and rigidity, resulting in increased speed and more power. It also features Nano Composite Technology that creates stronger bonds in the rubbers. This, in turn, gives a push to increase your speed and more consistent spin. The rubber that comes with it is very light. Also, the rubber holds minuscule air pockets or capsules so that you can have perfect elasticity and also greater control over the racket.
This ping pong paddle will give you a wider “sweet spot” while playing. With the harder carbon, you will be able to generate more spin and extra power on your returns. These features make it an ideal ping pong paddle for offensive or attacking players who like to smash or loop. The paddle also comes with a flared handle that is perfect for most players and ensures a good grip.
What We Like:
- Advanced Technologies | The Stiga Pro has many advanced technologies like Nano Composite Technology, WRB Weight Balance, Balsa Technology, Crystal Technology, and more. These technologies together increase the bat’s performance, speed, rate of recovery, and reaction time.
- Carbon for Speed and Power | The two layers of carbon integrated into the blade do a good job of increasing the speed of the racket and also providing more power to your shots.
- ITTF Approved Rubber | This paddle is tournament-ready. It comes with an ITTF approved Stiga S5 rubber, which means that it can be used in any and all tournaments.
- Good for offensive Players | With all the various technologies and integrated carbon, the Stiga Pro Carbon is excellent for offensive players. If you like chopping, looping and smashing, you should consider this ping pong paddle as it has features that will complement your attacking style of play.
Alternative Top Pick: Killerspin JET 600 Ping Pong Paddle
This is a competition-level ping pong paddle from Killerspin with several premium features. The JET 600 is well-made. The good quality of rubber and sponge give it a truly premium look while also helping it perform well.
The Killerspin JET 600 features ITTF approved Nitrx-4Z rubber, which means that you can play with this racket at any sanctioned league or tournament. This becomes important if you plan on playing competitive table tennis. It also has a sponge of 2mm that will provide increased speed and more power to your returns.
Talking about its blade, the Killerspin JET 600 boasts five layers of different premium-quality wood. This gives it better control and speed. It has a flared handle that is good for a comfortable and firm grip. This ping pong paddle is good for all-round players.
This ping pong paddle is designed for intermediate players who want to step up their game. However, this does not mean that advanced players cannot play with it. The Killerspin JET 600 has decent features that make it a good ping pong paddle for players of both intermediate or advanced levels.
There is another model from the same brand with similar pricing, the JET 500. However, in our review, we found that the overall performance and quality of JET 600 is better than its sibling model JET 500. Lastly, it comes with a warranty of 30 days.
What We Like:
- Ready for tournament | You can take your Kingspin JET 600 to any tournament or league as it comes with NItrx-4Z rubber that is approved by ITTF.
- Good for All-round Players | Kingspin JET 600 boasts an all-wood blade, which provides you better control and good speed as well. The 2mm sponge also works as an enhancer of speed and power. Overall, this ping pong paddle is suitable for all-round players who have the basics down already.
Things to Consider:
- Not for Absolute Beginners | The Killerspin JET 600 is great for intermediate or even advanced players. However, if you are just starting out (i.e., you are a complete beginner), we would recommend that you skip this paddle as it will be very easy to overhit the ball because of its higher speed rating. It is also hard to handle at first. You can come back to this paddle once you progress your game a bit.
Best High-end Pick: Butterfly Balsa Carbo X5 Pro-Line Table Tennis Racket
Investing in a premium ping pong paddle needs research and careful consideration. Here, we have picked the Butterfly Balsa Carbo X5 as our high-end pick based on our review and the experience of actual users. This ping pong paddle is becoming more and more popular because of its Balsa blade and two layers of carbon, which make it a good for attacking.
Talking about its blade, it is the very first Balsa Blade by Butterfly. The blade is very lightweight, which will help you deliver excellent shots with a great feel. Physically, this paddle is one of the lightest ping pong paddles (weighs only 80 gram). This racket also offers a comfortable soft feel which is going to assist your blocking technique effectively.
Along with the Balsa core, this ping pong paddle also features two additional layers of carbon that provide it more speed and power while keeping it lightweight. As a result, the Butterfly Balsa Carbon X5 has a big sweet spot that will give you ultimate speed as well as heavy spin.
The Balsa Carbon X5 is equipped with a Tenergy 80 FX 2 rubber, which offers a good balance of heavy spin and high speed for attacking. It is, of course, ITTF approved.
What We Like:
- Handle Choice | You have the option of choosing your preferred handle with the Butterfly Balsa Carbo X5. You can choose from anatomical, straight or flared handle. If you are not sure how these handles differ, read our guide below on how to choose the best ping pong paddle.
- Speed and Control | This ping pong paddle offers a good combination of speed and control for all-round attacking and mid-distance looping as well. It offers fast play with excellent control. It is great for blocking near the table, and retrieving balls a bit away from the table is good as well.
Alternative High-end Pick: Killerspin RTG Diamond TC Table Tennis Racket
First off, this paddle is not at all for beginners. So, if you are starting out in table tennis, you need to steer clear from this one. This ping pong paddle is designed for advanced players who want to further accelerate their game. It offers great speed – scoring 10 out of 10 in speed ratings.
This paddle will give you an ultra-fast ping pong game. If you are an offensive player who likes to play fast and powerful shots further from the table, then you should certainly consider buying Killerspin RTG Diamond TC.
It has a 7-ply composite wood blade with integrated titanium carbon fiber. It also features competition-grade Fortissimo rubbers that offer great spin and will help you win matches. It is, of course, approved to be used in official tournaments or competitions.
What We Like:
- Excellent Speed and Spin | This ping pong paddle scores 10 out of 10 in speed ratings. Its 5 premium wood layers and 2 layers of carbon fiber offer great speed and spin. It can be your best table tennis racket once you get comfortable with the speed and spin it features.
- Approved by ITTF | This table tennis racket has a rubber that’s been approved by the International Table Tennis Federation. It can be used in any and all official tournaments.
- Great for Advanced Players | This racket is ideal for advanced players who are seriously involved in table tennis and want to play in tournaments or leagues.
Best Budget Option: Palio Expert 2 Table Tennis Racket & Case
If you are just starting out with table tennis or would like a cheap yet efficient ping pong paddle, then the Palio Expert 2 Table Tennis Racket is worth considering. This paddle is widely popular with beginners and is gathering lots of positive reviews on Amazon.
Even though it is a budget ping pong table, it features the Palio CJ8000 rubbers, which is approved by ITTF. This means you can even use this budget racket in any official tournaments or leagues. The rubbers are also good quality. They will help you generate spin and speed. The rubbers are tacky, which means the ball will stick to them slightly when you hit the ball with it.
The handle of Palio Expert 2 is flared. This will ensure that the racket fits firmly in your hands and does not slip. This ping pong paddle is a shakehand style paddle, which means you will hold it as if you were shaking hands with someone. It is not suitable for someone who uses the penhold grip. We have talked more about grips in our ping pong paddle buying guide below.
The Palio Expert 2 is a good budget ping pong paddle that is suitable for beginners. Its tacky rubbers, soft sponge, flared handle, and other features provide the control, power, and speed you can handle if you are just starting out with ping pong.
What We Like:
- High Control Rating | If you are starting out in ping pong, you should always look for a paddle with a high control rating. The Palio Expert 2 ping pong paddle offers you just that – a control rating of 10 (highest).
- ITTF Approved | This ping pong paddle is ITTF approved. So, you can use this paddle in any competition-level tournaments without any worries.
Things to Consider:
- Low Speed Rating | This ping pong paddle has a speed rating of 6, which is very low for an intermediate or advanced player. So, this paddle might be too slow for you if you have been working on your skills for some time.
Best for Beginners: STIGA Titan Table Tennis Racket
This is easily the best ping pong paddle for beginners. It is also very affordable and lightweight. It is also recommended by professional coaches as one of the best ping pong paddles for beginners because of its durability, decent paddle ratings, and affordable price.
If you are just starting out in table tennis, you should not be too concerned about power. Placement and technique are what you need to work on. The STIGA Titan allows you to do just that without having to spend too much on an expensive paddle.
Talking about its blade, it is made out of the 5-ply extra light blade. It also features Crystal Technology, which makes the blade harder for added speed. There’s nothing impressive about the handle; it has a concave Italian composite handle.
Overall, this paddle is a great choice for beginners who want to get the hang of the game. Additionally, its lightweight makes it a perfect ping pong paddle for young children as well. However, if you are an intermediate or advanced player, you should check out our picks for the best paddle for intermediate players and the best paddle for advanced players, respectively.
What We Like:
- ITTF Approved | It features an ITTF approved inverted rubber. This means that even though it is a racket for beginners, you can play with it in official tournaments as well.
- Great for learning the basics | This ping pong paddle is the best for learning the basics of this game. It has features that geared towards helping you learn the correct placement, precision, and stroke mechanics.
Best for Intermediate Players: Palio Legend 2 Table Tennis Racket & Case
Palio Legend 2 is collaborated exclusively by two table tennis brands: Palio (a Chinese brand) and Expert Table Tennis (a UK brand). It is the most expensive one in this Palio x ETT series of ping pong paddles.
It is the perfect table tennis racket for intermediate players who want to take their game to an entirely new level. It is uniquely designed to provide greater spin and speed, which is what makes it ideal for someone wanting to become an expert in table tennis.
Talking about its rubbers, it boasts the Palio Hadou rubbers. It features an exclusive Palio x ETT Legend 2 blade that will give your shots extra power and you a better feeling when playing with this paddle.
This paddle scores 10 out of 10 in speed ratings, which means that it is a very fast premade racket. In spin, it scores 9 out of 10, which means it is great for a spin as well. This increased spin and speed, however, is an obvious trade-off for less control. This is why we do not recommend this table tennis racket for beginners. It has a harder sponge for more speed and spin. It is also made of harder wood, again to maximize power.
What We Like:
- Excellent Speed | This ping pong paddle has excellent speed due to its rubbers and exclusive blade. You will have nothing to complain about in terms of speed.
- Lots of spin | Palio Legend 2 also offers brilliant spin. If you know your game and can create spin, this paddle will work as a weapon against your opposition.
- ITTF approved | This rubber of this paddle is approved by ITTF. This means that you can take this paddle to any official tournament or league and show your skills.
Best for Advanced Players: Killerspin Jet 800 Table Tennis Paddle
After looking at the best ping pong paddles for beginner and intermediate players, our pick for the best paddle for advanced players is the Killerspin JET 800. This is a very popular paddle with many positive reviews from players on Amazon.
This ping pong paddle is extremely fast and produces extra power and good spin. You will need a good amount of practice before you can effectively control this paddle. The speed rating is 9.5 out of 10, and the spin rating is 9 out of 10. Its blade has carbon fiber integrated into 7-ply composite wood. This will make sure that you can play those aggressive, powerful shots.
This paddle offers a flared handle. This stops the racket from slipping out of your hand and fits firmly in your hand.
Killerspin JET 800 has ITTF approved Nitrx-4Z rubber. As you will see, this is the same rubber that our alternative top pick, the Killerspin JET 600, features. This is because Nitrx-4Z rubber is the best Killerspin has to offer. So, when you move up the range from JET 600, you will find that the quality of blades is the only improvement.
What We Like:
- ITTF Approved | Nitrx-4Z rubber in the Killerspin JET 800 is approved International Table Tennis Federation. This means that you can play with this paddle at any and all competition-level tournaments.
- Extra Speed and Spin | This paddle is very fast and offers a really good spin, scoring 9.5 and 9 out of 10, respectively. The increased speed helps you play attacking shots, and this bat can generate great spin in the right hands. Although this does come with a downside of lesser control, so you better have good skills.
Things to Consider:
- Heavy | Killerspin JET 800 is quite heavier than most of its rival bats. It weighs 190 grams and is one of the heaviest ping pong paddles out there. If you play defensively or are not used to heavy rackets, you will find your arm getting tired very quickly.
Best for Defensive Play: STIGA Evolution Performance-Level Table Tennis Racket
If you have a defensive style of play, then you want to look for more control and can compromise with speed. The STIGA Evolution is easily one of the best table tennis rackets for defensive players.
The STIGA Evolution features a lightweight 6-ply blade, which contributes to the good overall control. It has an ITTF approved STIGA Premium rubber and a sponge of 2.0 mm thickness. If we compare this with the STIGA Pro Carbon, then the sponge on this paddle is softer, which will give you more spin and a bit less speed.
Much like our top pick, the STIGA Pro Carbon, this ping pong paddle has new advanced technologies. The crystal technology makes the surface harder to give more speed to the blade. Another feature that the blade of this paddle has is a Shock Dispersion Tube. This tube is a hollow part of the handle that is designed in such a way so that it transfers the shockwaves created as the ball hits the racket and spreads them out evenly across the whole bat. It might take a bit of getting used to as this technology is not found in any other blades. However, once you are familiar with it, it will greatly help you with control.
This racket is a little slower, which makes it great for learning because it offers superb control, and it is also quite forgiving on bad technique and poor shots. You should purchase the STIGA Evolution if you are looking for a good, high-quality racket to up your game. Keep in mind that it is designed for players who want better control in the game and are willing to play with a bit slower bat.
What We Like:
- ITTF Approved | STIGA Evolution comes with a rubber that is approved by the International Table Tennis Federation. This means that you can play with this racket at any official tournament or league.
- Excellent Control | You’ll definitely be surprised by the level of control STIGA Evolution has to offer. The Shock Dispersion Technology, lightweight blade, softer sponge, etc. contribute to the excellent control of this table tennis racket.
Best for Shakehand Grip: DHS HURRICANE-II Tournament Ping Pong Paddle
This paddle is designed for professional and serious players who want to play official competition-level tournaments. It features an insane level of spin and will make your spin much deadlier without any extra effort.
You will also notice that this paddle has an oversized design. This larger size helps you to easily find the sweet spot and keep hitting the ball harder to win matches. It has a longer handle, which makes it great for extended playing. The rubber coating on the surface of this racket is from China, and it is the same type of rubber that’s used on professional table tennis rackets.
It features an ITTF approved rubber, and both sides of this paddle have pimples-in or reversed rubbers. The rubbers of this ping pong paddle serve two purposes. You can use the red side for aggressive forearm swings, and the black side for a less bouncy defense.
DHS Hurricane 2 features Landson wrist support for extra spin and control. It is quite helpful and will allow you to make each stroke with the perfect spin, support, and control. This will give you an edge over your opponent. The grip of this paddle is very comfortable, and you will not have to worry about palm sweat or anything like that. You’ll be able to play long and continuous matches with this paddle.
What We Like:
- ITTF Approved | This paddle has an ITTF approved rubber so you can take it into any tournament. Also, the features and design of this racket make it perfect for serious players who are going to participate in competitions.
- Great Build Quality | DHS Hurricane 2 boasts a combination of both wood and rubber. The Chinese rubber coating, red pimple-like dots, and finest material contribute to the professional build quality of this paddle so you can keep playing the best shots as much as you want.
- Comfortable | This table tennis racket features a long, sturdy handle. It also comes with Landson wrist support. This improves the comfortability and allows you to play multiple games.
Best For Family: JP WinLook Ping Pong Paddle Set
This is certainly the best affordable ping pong paddle set for the family. It can be used by all ages (young, old), female or male, and all skill levels.
This is a pack of 4 ping pong paddles. It also comes with 8 three-star balls that are legal for official competition as they meet the ITTF regulations. This set includes a free storage/carrying case as well that perfectly can contain your 4 paddles and 8 balls. So, you will have no difficulties taking this set outdoors with your family.
If we talk about the paddles alone, they have a sturdy 5-ply wooden blade. The rubbers are also good quality, and the sponge provides high-bounce. The paddles have ergonomic flared handles, which makes them comfortable for anyone. These paddles fir firmly in your hand, and the grip is suitable for long sessions.
These paddles are suitable for both indoor and outdoor games. It includes a 60-day money-back guarantee. Not only that, but it also comes with a one-year replacement warranty with superb customer service. So, the JP WinLook ping pong paddle set is definitely the best if you are looking for something to gift, or just want to play with your friends and family.
What We Like:
- Suitable for Everyone | This ping pong paddle set can be used by players of any age, gender, or skill level. It features paddles with a comfortable grip, three-star balls, and a carrying case. This is what makes it a perfect ping pong paddle set for your family.
- Excellent Customer Service | This product not only has a one-year replacement warranty, but the customer service is exceptional as well. Numerous users on Amazon were contacted by the seller himself after having received a defective product or if their paddles malfunctioned for some reason. They were offered either a full refund or a replacement and, in some cases, both!
How to Choose the Best Ping Pong Paddle for You
How you decide to hold your paddle is crucial when it comes to choosing the best blade handle for you. There are chiefly two ways to hold a ping pong paddle:
- Penhold Grip: In the Penhold grip, you hold the handle like a pen or pencil. This type of grip was once popular with Asian players, but nowadays, it is far less common. Penhold grip is usually not recommended for beginners or intermediate players.
- Shakehand Grip: As the name suggests, this grip looks like you are shaking hands with another person. Your index finger is outstretched over the rubber, and the rest of the fingers are closed around the handle. This type of grip is used by a majority of professional players, and we will also recommend this for most players.
Knowing your grip will help you find the perfect ping pong paddle with a handle that suits your grip. We will talk about types of handles in a moment.
Your style of play
You should also keep in mind your playing style while choosing a ping pong paddle. You should obviously choose a paddle that will complement your style of play. What this means is that you will need to choose a blade with the correct combination of wood layers. Table tennis aggression is basically of three types: defensive, all-rounder (or counter-attacking), and offensive or attacking.
How does your playing style determine the type of blade you should use? Well, the more aggressive or attacking you are, the heavier your blade should be to generate that extra power in your shots. The weight of table tennis rackets typically varies from 70 to 100 grams without the rubber.
However, the majority of players will have an all-rounder style of play. So, we recommend that if you have just started playing ping pong or have developed a counter-attacking style of play, you should opt for a mid-weight racket. If you are a defensive player, you would be better off with a lighter racket. For aggressive or offensive players, a heavy table tennis racket is recommended.
Although, you don’t have to concern yourself with all these subtleties. All table tennis equipment suppliers categorize their paddle blades, so all you have to do is choose a blade from the correct category, and you will be good to go.
The blade is the main solid part of your paddle. It is the main factor that determines the power rating of a ping pong paddle. The blade is generally made from wood, but it may also contain a small percentage of other material that is fibrous, such as compressed paper, glass fiber, or carbon fiber.
According to the rules of table tennis, the blade of a ping pong paddle must contain at least 85% natural wood. However, it can be of any shape, size, or weight. A paddle blade will usually consist of 5 or more thin layers of wood and other material. The most commonly found blades in the market are 5-ply and 7-ply.
You already know that all ping pong paddles have at least 85% of wood. What about the rest 15 percent? You have the option of going for a 100% wood blade, or you can have carbon fiber mixed with it. The main difference between wood and carbon fiber is that of predictability. Wood is non-uniform in nature, and a blade made from wood will be a little unique. A complete wood blade will provide better spin and control. On the other hand, including some carbon fiber in the blade will give you precision, stability, increased speed, and a uniform bounce.
Attached to the blade is the handle of ping pong paddle. There are four major types of handles: penhold, flared, straight, and anatomic. Again, it is a personal choice, and you can use whichever handle you prefer. Let’s talk about the different kinds of handles available in the market.
The penhold handle is a short handle designed for players who use the penhold grip. We have already covered what a penhold grip means. A penhold grip allows your hand to remain more flexible, and also keeps the handle near the table. The disadvantage of penhold grip is that it kind of makes it difficult to apply backhand spin.
Coming to the flared handle, it is a little longer than the penhold handle. This handle is well-suited for beginners because of its flared ends, which help you grip the handle firmly in your hands. It is also suitable for people who do not change their grip too much. Flared handle is the most common type of handle you will see on low to mid-range ping pong paddles.
Next is the straight handle. You already know that if you don’t change your grip often, you should go for a flared handle. However, straight handles are good for people who tend to change their grips. The straight handle is used by a majority of professional players. Although there is one obvious downside. As you might have guessed, straight handles are more likely to slip in your hands and are, therefore, a bit harder to control.
Anatomical handles are designed to be as comfortable as possible. Like flared handles, anatomical handles are also suited for people who do not vary their grip often. These handles give a natural feeling and are not as common as flared handles.
In some ping pong paddles, like the Butterfly Pro-Line Professional Table Tennis Racket, for example, you can choose your preferred handle.
A ping pong paddle is structured like a sandwich. Sheets of rubber cover the center blade from each side. So, rubber is the part that is used to make contact with the ball. There are a couple of things to learn about the rubber, such as pimples, thickness, and hardness of the sponge, and geometry of the pimples (also known as pips).
Table tennis rubbers can have the pimples (or pips) facing inwards or outwards. If the rubber has pimples facing outwards, it means that the smooth side is attached to the sponge. So, you will be striking the ball with the pimpled surface. These types of rubbers are available in two styles: short pimples and long pimples. Short pimples are suitable for players who have a fast blocking or counter-hitting game, while long pimples are good for a more defensive playing style.
If your rubber has pimples facing inwards, it means you will be hitting the ball with the smooth side. This type of rubber known as reverse rubber. It is the most popular type of rubber in the market. This is because it allows you to play a complete range of strokes. It will provide you good control and will help you in developing your strokes.
The thickness of ping pong rubbers varies as well. The thickness of the sponge determines the offensiveness of the rubber. So, you will have to choose the thickness of the sponge depending on your style of play. If you have a defensive playing style, you are better off getting a thinner sponge, and for an attacking style of play, you should opt for a thicker sponge. A thicker sponge will give you more speed, whereas thinner sponge will provide you more control.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can my ping pong paddle be of any size?
Yes, you might be surprised to know that a ping pong paddle can be of any shape, size, or weight provided that it is flat and rigid. The only restriction is that any ping pong paddle must contain at least 85% natural wood in order to be competition standard.
What do the speed, spin, and control ratings mean?
While you’re looking for a ping pong paddle for yourself, you’ll probably come across this rating system. It marks the paddle against speed, spin, and control.
First of all, let’s get this out of the way. Is there an official rating system for ping pong paddles? No. These ratings are given to rackets by their manufacturers. Since the ratings come from individual manufacturers, it is almost impossible to compare two products of different brands based on these ratings.
The only sure shot way to compare paddles is to study their specifications using the guidelines provided above in this article. You should check the rubber thickness, handle type, weight, blade composition to find the best ping pong paddle for you.
Why are all paddles red on one side and black on the other? Is there a difference?
Understanding the difference between the black and red side of a paddle will help with this. It is very simple. The red side gives less spin and provides the ball speed. Whereas the black side gives more spin to the ball, and the speed of the ball is slower as compared to the red side.
Now, imagine your opponent using the same colors on both sides. You wouldn’t be able to know if the ball will have less spin and faster speed, or it’ll have a more spin and slower speed. This would give your opponent an advantage, wouldn’t it?
So, to ensure a fairer game, ITTF (International Table Tennis Federation) added the “Two-color rule”. According to this rule, a ping pong paddle must have red color on one side and black on the other, so your opponent can know which type of rubber was being used for each stroke.
How do I maintain my ping pong paddle?
The life of your ping pong paddle depends a lot on the level of care. You should always store your racket safely inside a case. Most of the products listed in this article come with a paddle case to keep your bat. However, if your ping pong paddle doesn’t have a case, we recommend that you should buy one.
Table tennis rubbers are going to collect powder from balls, sweat, dust, etc. If your rubbers have too much dust or sweat on them, it will cause them to become less grippy. The ball will start to slip off the bat, making it harder to generate good spin. This is why you should regularly clean your bat. You can do this with a little bit of water and a piece of cloth. Simply wipe the surface clean. It will not take more than a minute, and your rubber will dry rapidly. Be careful to not use too much, though.
You could also buy rubber protectors if you are very concerned about your paddle. Rubber protectors are just thin, transparent films, which can be cut to the shape of your rubber. After every game, for example, you could clean your rubbers and then cover them with protectors. Keep in mind though that this is optional, and having a racket case and cleaning your rubbers will do the job as well.
Is there any difference between ping pong and table tennis?
There is absolutely no difference between ping pong and table tennis. The two terms can be used interchangeably. However, common usage is that table tennis is more of a professional, competitive sport, while ping pong is more of a game or hobby.
Other Worthy Mentions
These are ones that didn’t quite make the cut as one of the top picks but are still interesting enough to be worth a look.
It is a table tennis racket suitable for all-round players. It is not for beginners, though. If you have mastered the basic strokes and are looking to learn more advanced techniques, then this can be for you.
- It comes with ITTF approved Palio CJ8000 rubbers.
- It has the Palio x ETT Master 2 blade for extra power and comfortable feel.
- Ratings: Speed = 8/10; Spin = 9/10; Control = 8/10.
This is budget ping pong paddle set for the family. It is a set of 4 rackets, 8 balls, and a carrying case.
- It comes with 8 three-star balls that are ITTF standard.
- It can be used by players of any gender, skill level, or age.
- It features 4 table tennis rackets with a 1.8 mm sponge layer underneath a 1.5 mm rubber layer.
- It comes with a carrying case/protector so you can easily take it anywhere you want.
It is a high-end ping pong paddle for intermediate to advanced players.
- It boasts 5 layers of premium woof and 2 layers of carbon fiber.
- It has quite a lot of spin and speed with a bit less control.
- The blade is of good quality, and the rubbers are quite sticky.
- Ratings: Control 8.4; Spin 9.4; Power 11.7.
This is another table tennis racket for intermediate players from STIGA. It has good performance ratings and useful features.
- It features ITTF approved rubber so you can play with it in official tournaments.
- It comes with a 6-ply ultra-light blade and a 2mm sponge.
- It has STIGA ACS for improved speed and more control.
- Ratings: Speed – 9.0; Spin – 9.2; Control – 8.9.
The Killerspin JET200 is geared more towards control. It is made for recreational ping pong players who are looking to step up their game.
- It features a blade with 5 layers of wood.
- It has a flared handle for a comfortable and firm grip.
- Ratings: Control: 8.5; Spin: 7; Power: 6.
The Infinity VPS V from STIGA is built for intermediate to advanced players. It was used by Fan Zhendong (Youth Olympic Games 2014 Gold Medalist).
- It features Diamond Touch technology, which gives the blade extra hardness.
- It is built with the brand new VPS technology (Veneer Precision System).
- The aggressive receives and powerful topspin shots help you dominate the modern game.
- It has a 5-ply lightweight offensive blade.
This is another good paddle for players looking to enhance their skills. It has excellent recoil, lots of spins, and good speed.
- It has a flared handle for a comfortable and firm grip.
- It is ITTF approved.
- It features a 7-ply wood blade with a 2.0mm soft sponge.
- Ratings: Speed: 8.0; Spin: 8.4; Control: 8.6
It is a cheap budget-friendly set of ping pong paddles. Beginners with a tight budget can opt for this to improve their game and master basics.
- The set includes four rackets, six 3-star balls, and a carrying case or protector.
- It has 7 layers of cottonwood blade that help you with control and precision.
- It boasts a 2.0mm sponge that gives increased speed.
- It also has a flared handle for a good grip.
Butterfly 401 is an affordable and comfortable table tennis racket. It also comes with a carrying case.
- It has a handle with rounded flared design to make it ergonomic.
- It is approved by ITTF to be used in tournaments.
- It ships in a gift box, making it a good present for any table tennis player.
- It provides good spin and speed.