The maintenance of a swimming pool can be quite time-consuming. So, to make things easier for you, there are three different types of automatic pool cleaners you can choose from to keep your pool as clean as possible: pressure-side, suction-side, and robotic cleaners.
Suction or pressure-side pool cleaners – while they’re great in their own right – cannot even remotely match the convenience of robotic pool cleaners. All you have to do is drop the robot into your swimming pool and watch it do the magic for you. Robotic pool cleaners are, without a doubt the best way to automatically clean your swimming pool.
A little search on Amazon will reveal that there are too many options to choose from. You simply cannot sit, read the reviews on every product, and compare on your own. That is why we have hand-picked the best robotic pool cleaners for 2020. This list of best robotic pool cleaners is exhaustive and includes the best robotic cleaners from all ranges. So, without further ado, let’s start with our top pick for the best pool cleaner in the market.
The Best Robotic Pool Cleaners Reviewed
|Top Pick||Dolphin Nautilus CC Plus Automatic Robotic Pool Cleaner|
|Alternative Top Pick||Hayward RC9990CUB TigerShark Robotic Pool Vacuum|
|Best High End Pick||DOLPHIN Oasis Z5i Robotic Pool Cleaner|
|Best Budget Option||Aquabot Spirit Above and Inground Pool Cleaner|
Our Top Pick: Dolphin Nautilus CC Plus Automatic Robotic Pool Cleaner
This robotic product pool cleaner is the bestseller in pool cleaners on Amazon for numerous reasons.
It will save you lots of energy and time as it is eight times more energy-efficient than pressure and suction cleaners.
This robotic pool cleaner is suitable for pools up to 50 feet.
The Dolphin Nautilus CC Plus comes with Clever Clean Technology. This basically means that it has onboard sensors that will help it scan your pool and figure out the best way to clean the entire pool as quickly and efficiently as possible.
A lot of pool cleaners do not separate large deposits of debris from small and simply put them in a bag together. This can lead to frustration when cleaning them off. This robotic pool cleaner has dual layered filtration. This means that there are two filters to separate large and small debris.
You would expect a bestseller pool cleaner to have a decent warranty as well just in case your unit turns out faulty after some usage. Well, the Nautilus CC Plus will meet your expectations as it comes with an extended manufacturer’s warranty for 2.5 years.
What We Like:
- Clever Clean Technology | The Clever Clean Technology of Nautilus CC Plus uses advanced algorithms to cover the pool completely. It also has patented swivel cables that allow the pool cleaner to move around your pool without any tangling.
- Powerful Brushes | This pool cleaner comes with two scrubbing brushes that will make sure that tough dirt and debris in the bottom of your pool and on the walls are cleaned thoroughly.
- Dual Layered Filtration | The dual-layered filtration of this pool cleaner separates large and small debris. Large debris is first caught by one filter and then small debris is caught by another filter. This allows for better and faster cleaning.
Alternative Top Pick: Hayward RC9990CUB TigerShark Robotic Pool Vacuum
Alternative Top Pick
This pool cleaner will surely clean your swimming pool quicker than you would expect. It offers a Quick Clean cycle of 90 minutes only.
This pool cleaner manages to save back-lash water by working separately from the filtration system of the pool.
This robot can clean irregularly shaped pools as well. It can easily climb steps from shallow to deep ends. This means that you can just turn this robot on and leave it while it does the job on its own. It even turns off automatically once the cleaning is complete.
It comes with a power cord of 55 feet. This allows you to clean a pool up to 20 by 60 feet, which is long enough for residential pools. You will not have to worry about the cord getting tangled because its plugin design and length ensure that it says tangle-free.
What We Like:
- Microprocessor Technology | The microprocessor technology in Hayward TigerShark allows it to clean your swimming pool in the shortest time possible. It is capable of performing a cleaning cycle of 90 minutes.
- Unique Cartridge Filter System| It is extremely easy to clean this robot. It has a unique cartridge filter system which means all you have to do is remove the cartridge, clean them, and put them back. This is because the cartridges are made up of reinforced polyester. This makes it very convenient and effective.
Best High End Pick: DOLPHIN Oasis Z5i Robotic Pool Cleaner
Best High End Pick
This is a high-end robotic pool cleaner from Dolphin that you will love. It will easily replace your pool boy or any pool cleaning services as it does a way better job at cleaning than a human.
Talking about cleaning, the Dolphin Oasis Z5i has powerful suction and filtering system. It comes with oversized cartridge filters that trap leaves and fine debris easily.
This, combined with a maximum suction rate to circulate the water, makes for the perfect automated pool cleaning system.
You can use this robotic pool cleaner to clean your swimming effortlessly at regular intervals. The user can easily schedule Dolphin Oasis Z5i to automatically clean the swimming pool every day, every other day, or every third day etc.
The Dolphin Oasis Z5i can be connected to your smartphone via Bluetooth using the MyDolphin app. This is extremely useful when you want to clean immediately or a specific spot or potion of your pool.
Lastly, this premium, expensive robotic pool cleaner comes with a warranty for 3 years so you don’t have to worry about your money getting wasted. It will serve you long.
What We Like:
- Powerful Motor | This robotic pool cleaner has a powerful dual drive motor that will drive the robot across the floor of the pool, over obstacles, and up the walls. It ensures that the robot delivers maximum pool coverage regardless of the shape of the pool.
- Dual Layered Filtration | The Dolphin Oasis Z5i utilizes dual-layered filtration to ensure no particles are left behind. This also has another advantage of separating large and small debris which in turn reduces the risk of clogging and allows for easy cleaning of the robot.
- Bluetooth Connectivity | You can connect your Dolphin Oasis Z5i to your smartphone via Bluetooth. After connecting it, you can easily manoeuvre it whichever way you want using the MyDolphin app. This is useful for spot cleaning, and you can also activate the weekly timer from within the app.
Best Budget Option: Aquabot Spirit Above and Inground Pool Cleaner
Best Budget Option
If you are looking for a budget robotic pool cleaner that provides excellent features, then the Aquabot Spirit pool cleaner is for you.
This robot effectively cleans your pool and removes debris, dust, and even algae.
Cleaning this budget robotic pool cleaner is a breeze. When you are finished with it, you just pull it out of the pool (it opens easily for you to remove the pair of bag filters), rinse out the filters, and you are good to go.
It has a two-hour timer on it, and it effectively cleans almost the entire pool. Directions are included to tell you how to adjust it in case it doesn’t clean your pool entirely. Lastly, it comes with a warranty for two years.
What We Like:
- Swivel Cable | The Aquabot Spirit features tangle-free swivel cables. This means that the robot can take however many rounds or go whichever way it wants, and you won’t have to worry about its cable getting entangled.
- Two Filter Bags | When it is running, it has 2 filter bags inside of it that fill up with debris. They are easily attached to elastic necks. Two sets of filter bags are included with this Aquabot Spirit – one set for algae and another set for normal pool debris like leaves and such.
Frequently Asked Questions
How does a robotic pool cleaner actually work?
A robotic pool cleaner is basically a vacuum cleaner that works mostly automatically. This means you don’t have to intervene manually in order for it to work properly.
Robotic pool cleaners are completely automated. They are different and independent from the main pump and filtration system of a swimming pool. Robotic pool cleaners have a special mechanism that guides them through different sections of a swimming pool.
A robotic pool cleaner has its own filtration system. This acts as a secondary filter when the cleaner is cleaning the pool. Robotic pool cleaners are not only programmable, but some of them can even be controlled by remote control. Although they can be a bit expensive, the robotic pool cleaners are definitely a great time saver.
How do I maintain my robotic pool cleaner?
In order to keep the cleaning capabilities of your robotic pool cleaner at its peak, you must do proper maintenance and take good care of it.
First of all, robotic pool cleaners come with a bag – in which the debris is collected – that can be easily emptied and cleaned. Secondly, you should regularly clean the main brushes found under the robot with a cleaning tool. This will help prevent debris from accumulating and causing the robot to malfunction.
Why should choose a robotic pool cleaner? What are its benefits?
There are various benefits of choosing a robot cleaner over the other ones. One of the best things is that robotic pool cleaners are quite energy efficient. This means that although they clean thoroughly, they will not be heavy on your electricity bill.
Robotic pool cleaners also do not place pressure on your existing pool equipment — all the user has to do is drop it in the water and let it function on its own. Your robot cleaner can also help maintain strong water circulation in your swimming pool.
Can I keep my robot cleaner in the pool?
Yes, these robotic pool cleaners are made to be submerged in water more than out of it. Although, you ought to take it out regularly (ideally after every cycle) and clean the basket.
Other Worthy Mentions
These are ones that didn’t quite make the cut as one of the top picks but are still interesting enough to be worth a look.
This is an affordable robotic pool cleaner that features 48 Volt DC jet Motor.
- It has only one model, so it needs less maintenance
- The cable on this robotic pool cleaner is listed as 40 feet
- It does not take a lot of time to clean even large pools
The Polaris F9350 robotic pool cleaner can reach debris under steps and in tight corners with the rear water propulsion system.
- It offers great navigation with the ActivMotion Sensor technology
- It can easily pick up larger debris with the Vortex vacuum technology
- It can effectively work on all pool surfaces as it is fitted with Aqua-Tax tires
This is another premium robotic pool cleaner that offers many useful features.
- CleverClean technology to ensure complete pool coverage
- Weekly scheduler to clean the pool automatically at chosen intervals
- Powerful dual scrubbing brushes clean the tough dirt and debris effectively
This is another excellent robotic pool cleaner from Polaris with a two-year warranty.
- The rear water propulsion system allows it to reach difficult areas as well
- It includes a 7-day programmable timer
- Its ActivMotion Sensor Technology allows for smooth and precise navigation
This is our last pick in this list of best robotic pool cleaners. This robotic pool cleaner features a 24-volt motor which is designed to use less energy.
- It comes with a wireless handheld remote that can be used to manually steer the pool cleaner into difficult-to-reach areas
- It has a unique cartridge filter system which ensures easy cleaning and emptying
- It runs separately from the filtration system of the pool
The Intex Robotic Pool Cleaner works flawlessly for above ground pools, and it attaches itself to your existing pool filtration system.
- It uses venturi suction to keep the bottom of the pool free of leaves and other debris
- It does a great job picking up debris and even dead algae
- Affordable robotic pool cleaner
Yet another great robotic pool cleaner from Dolphin. It can clean up to 50-feet pools and comes with a warranty of two years.
- PowerStream mobility provides a good grip for powerful walls and waterline scrubbing
- It has an extra-large top-loading filter basket which is very easy to clean
- It has a weekly schedule which can be used to automatically clean the pool
Here is another premium robotic pool cleaner from Dolphin that features smart navigation, massive top-loading cartridges, and a deep clean in 2.5 hours.
- It comes with an anti-tangling swivel cable
- Its dual scrubbing brushes effectively remove algae and bacteria from floor, waterline, and walls.
- It is weekly programmable to automatically clean your pool at chosen intervals.
- It can be connected to a smartphone via Bluetooth for spot cleaning.