There is no beating the rotary laser level when it comes to projects that require accuracy and precision.
While most cross-line laser levels are supposed to be used indoors, the rotary laser levels are powerful and can be easily used for both indoor and outdoor applications.
Now, we know that you don’t have enough time to go through various products and carefully consider this purchase the way you would like to. So, if you are confused about which self-leveling line laser to buy, which brand is good and which product is best, then there’s no need to worry anymore as we have got you covered.
Something that is crucial when using a laser on a construction site is that it has to be reliable, it has to be consistent, and it has to very easy to set-up and very easy to use. These are the exact things that we have considered while preparing this list of best rotary laser levels.
Without further ado, let’s look at the best rotary laser levels that you can use in your next project.
The Best Rotary Laser Levels Reviewed
|Top Pick||Topcon RL-H5A Self Leveling Rotary Laser|
|Alternative Top Pick||Johnson Level & Tool 99-006K Rotary Laser System|
|Best High End Pick||Spectra Precision LL500 Exterior Self-Leveling Laser Level|
|Best Budget Option||Iglobalbuy Automatic Electronic Self-Leveling Rotary Laser Level|
Our Top Pick: Topcon RL-H5A Self Leveling Rotary Laser
As we said above, when using a laser on a construction site, reliability, consistency, and easy set-up and usability are things to be kept in mind. The Topcon RL-H5A ticks all of those boxes.
It is self-leveling, and in case it does get disrupted at any stage while you are in the procedure of doing any measurements, it will level itself automatically – which is an amazingly useful feature.
Another good feature of the Topcon RL-H5A is that if it does get disrupted at any stage on-site, you will get an out of level alarm that will alert you that a potentially incorrect level is being used, and it will allow you to resolve the error immediately.
In case you have the requirement to shoot some really long distances, the Topcan RL-H5A Laser can shoot up to 400 meters, giving you an 800-meter diameter to pretty much cover even the largest of work sites.
Coming to its battery, when it comes to getting a pile of runs on the board of run, you will love that it gets up to 60 hours with the provided rechargeable batteries or if you want to swap them out for some D sized batteries, you’re going to get up to 100 hours on a full set of 4 D-sized batteries
You would have to be a bit of a goose not to take care of a beautiful piece of kit like this. But it is great to know that the Topcon RL-H5A Rotary Laser has been built to the IP66 rating which means that this thing will be more than able to cope with any of the accidental on-site abuse – any dust, torrential downpours that might come through or light knocks, etc.
It is built quite tough. Lastly, this reliable and accurate Topcon RL-H5A laser comes with a warranty for 5 years. It is our best pick in this list of best rotary lasers.
What We Like:
- Easy to use | With its electronic self-leveling, all you have to do is press the power button and you can go right to work in seconds. If the RL-H5A gets disturbed on the job, it will relevel itself automatically.
- Long Range with High Accuracy | This rotary laser can shoot up to 400 meters, which gives you a diameter of 800 meters so you can cover the largest of work sites.
- Multi-purpose Laser | The RL-H5A rotary laser is perfect for grading, excavating and general construction projects. The RL-H5A is “job site tough” with the IP66 rating, and it can withstand a sudden shower, dust and even torrential rainfall.
Alternative Top Pick: Johnson Level & Tool 99-006K Rotary Laser System
Alternative Top Pick
This rotary laser level system is among the best available in the market. It is highly recommended for homeowners. This top rotary laser comes with a warranty for three years.
It is made tough enough to handle different kinds of job sites. Johnson Level Tool 99-0006K can withstand the hazards of different job sites, and it will protect your tool while transporting. So, you do not have to worry about the tool housing unit.
You can use this rotary laser system for both indoor and outdoor work. Many people find the setup of leveling tools hard, but if you decide to buy the Johnson Level & tool 99-006K, you will find that the setup is quite easy. As soon as you turn on the laser level, it will level itself on both X and Y-axis.
This affordable laser level is ideal for homeowners. However, if you are looking for a rotary laser level with a longer range, then make sure you check the list at the bottom where we have listed some other good rotary laser levels that are worth mentioning and are similar to this one.
What We Like:
- Works at Different Speeds| The versatility of this Johnson rotary laser level is impressive. This machine can be operated at different speeds – 200, 400 and 600 RPM. Lower speeds are generally used for enhanced beam visibility while the higher speed is commonly used for outdoor applications.
- Audible and Visual Alarms| When and if you end up going beyond the leveling range, there is an alarm that goes off to give you a notification so you can resolve the issue right away. This is done to help you stay within the leveling range at all times.
- Durability| The inner components of this system are very-well protected by the use of an enclosed beacon. These components are protected from water and dirt which might just damage them. This means that Johnson 99-006K Rotary Laser Level will last comparatively longer, making sure you get value for your money.
Things to Consider:
- Requires High Maintenance | This rotary laser level system requires higher maintenance for it to work properly. However, the manufacturer has indicated the proper usage and maintenance of all the components. If you use the wrong products for maintenance, it can lead to some serious performance issues.
Best High-End Pick: Spectra Precision LL500 Exterior Self-Leveling Laser Level
Best High End Pick
This rotary laser level system is machine control compatible and ideal for a range of jobs, including concrete forms, checking and setting elevation, and foundations for medium to large-sized jobs. This laser comes with HL700 receiver which we will talk about in a moment.
If we talk about its range, The LL500 Laser offers a 1600-meter working diameter with high accuracy. This is really helpful as it will skyrocket your productivity by reducing the need for multiple setups on large job sites.
Coming to its efficiency, it is self-leveling and comes with a built-in out-of-level shut-off. This maintains accuracy over the whole work area while also minimizing errors. A visible “spotting” beam determines receiver mounting placement which makes it faster and easier to find the on-grade position.
The LL500 has the HL700 receiver with it. The receiver accurately measures elevations over the job site. It is also compatible with any rotating transmitter and can be used in the rod-mounted or hand-held position.
Lastly, the LL500 has a warranty for two years, and the H700 receiver has a warranty of three years.
What We Like:
- Temperature Compensation| This rotary laser, unlike a lot of professional tools, uses temperature compensation so that its measurements are accurate even in cases of sudden, extreme temperature changes.
- Switchable Batteries | The LL500 has two power options – alkaline batteries and rechargeable batteries. The unit comes with 4 D-cell alkaline batteries which last up to 80 hours. You can switch the power option from alkaline batteries to rechargeable batteries so as to reduce the chances of sudden downtime.
- Ideal for Solo Contractors | This LL500 Self-leveling laser is ideal for solo contractors who need to make every job accessible to a single person. So, if you are on your own, you can definitely consider purchasing this machine as it is designed to turn two-person jobs into one-person ones.
Best Budget Option: Iglobalbuy Automatic Electronic Self-Leveling Rotary Laser Level
Best Budget Option
This is the best budget self-leveling rotary laser level. This laser level has 500m beam visibility. It is 360 degrees rotatable.
This laser level also comes with a nice and sturdy carrying case to make the organization and transportation of it easier.
A pair of laser goggles are also included to easily view the laser among the strong sunlight.
It is controlled by temperature-stable sensors for self-alignment. It also has a self-leveling range up to 5°.
Lastly, this affordable laser level comes with a warranty for 3 years and a rechargeable battery and charger.
What We Like:
- Works at Different Speeds| This budget laser level can be operated at four different speeds – 60, 120, 300 and 600 RPM. This is very useful when you want to switch the speed for different applications.
- Durability| The high-impact composite housing protects the inner components of this system. This helps to protect the inner mechanism from water and dust.
Things to Consider:
- No Accessories | Even though this is a budget rotary laser level, some accessories would have been nice. This machine does not come with a staff or a tripod. Although, if you would like to get a tripod and staff as well with this laser level, you can get them here if you don’t have them already. Without the accessories, this is the best affordable rotary laser level for the quality and durability.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use Laser Levels under direct sunlight?
No laser levels can offer full visibility outdoors, in daylight, beyond a few meters. Most rotating laser levels come with an electronic laser receiver, which detects and receives the rotating dot laser at certain distances.
You will probably not see the laser beam in broad daylight. You should check for a laser model that comes with an electronic receiver to pick up lines when you’re doing exterior setting jobs.
Will the Laser Light hurt my eyes?
Flash blindness is the most commonly associated problem when it comes to laser and vision. Flash blindness is a visual impairment that occurs when eyes are exposed to a light flash of extremely high intensity. This could be temporary or permanent.
The beam from your rotary laser level can irritate the eyes with occasional direct exposure but that doesn’t normally cause permanent eye damage. It is like a camera flash. However, note that staring directly at the beam for a prolonged period of time must be avoided.
How often should I get my laser calibrated?
If you have a good quality laser, and you’re treating it well – no dropping or exposing to extensive vibrations – it should not go out of calibration so easily in the first place. So, a laser level needs to be calibrated only when it goes out of calibration.
How do you find out if your laser is out of calibration?
Well, the best way to know is by checking it yourself on a regular basis. Ideally, you should check your laser level before any major job.
This is not a time consuming or hard thing to do. All you have to do is level off a job and mark it out. Then, move the laser to the other side of the site and check the levels that you just made.
Other Worthy Mentions
These are ones that didn’t quite make the cut as one of the top picks but are still interesting enough to be worth a look.
Trimble Spectra Precision LL300 is an automatic self-leveling rotary laser level that gives outstanding accuracy. It is very easy to set-up and easy to use as well. It comes with a warranty for five years.
- Its build is very durable and it is well-protected against tripod tip-overs or drops.
- This reliable laser level comes with two power choices – alkaline batteries or rechargeable ones.
- It has an IP66 environmental rating and thus, it maintains its performance even in rainy, dusty and other harsh weather conditions.
This value for the money rotary laser system comes with horizontal self-leveling which allows for quick and easy setup. This rotary laser level has a warranty for three years, and it also has one year of free service.
- It comes with a protected rotary head and waterproof design to deliver different job sites durability.
- It has a range of up to 600 feet which can be extended to 1500 feet with the detector.
- It also has a standby mode that allows the user to pause the laser while transitioning it from horizontal to vertical.
This solid rotary laser level has a rugged design and is quite durable. It has features like an auto shut-down system when bumped and slopes leveling.
- This rotary laser system has an IP56 rating to handle extreme job site conditions.
- It has an extended range of up to 2000 feet.
- ADS (Anti-Drift System) is there to alert the user when the laser has drifted from its benchmark.
This good quality rotary laser level has a robust construction with IP54 protection for dust and water resistance.
- This laser level offers features such as variable speed selection and variable scan angles for maximum visibility in all light conditions.
- The self-leveling feature is fast horizontal and also vertical.
- It also has a disturbance monitor and a 90-Degree layout and plumb beam.
This is an affordable budget self-leveling laser level which is perfect for indoor use. It offers great features and overall performance. You should consider this product if you’re really low on budget or just looking for something to use indoors.
- This comes with a self-leveling feature.
- You can switch between rechargeable and alkaline batteries.
- This laser level is able to make tilt lines for different purposes.
- It uses a durable and stable high-intensity laser transmitter that makes the laser lines brighter and go further.