Party speakers are specially designed to keep your party alive, and they come with loud bass and high volumes. They are the only thing that stand between a great upbeat evening and boredom. If you are in charge of the sound system at a party comes, then you have some significant responsibilities. You must make sure that certain things go right so that everyone can enjoy the party.
There are some excellent speakers out there in the market that are suitable for house parties, social gatherings, and similar venues. However, various factors should be considered before selecting speakers for events like tailgating – or for any event for that matter. Some of these crucial factors are the bass, the loudness, connectivity and the battery life of a speaker.
So, if you looking for a good tailgate speaker for your next party, we can help you with that. Here, we have compiled a list of the best tailgate speakers in 2020. You will not have look anywhere else than this list because we have categorized devices based on your needs and budget.
The Best Tailgate Speakers Reviewed
|Top Pick||Aiwa Exos-9 Portable Bluetooth Speaker|
|Alternative Top Pick||ION Audio Road Warrior Tailgate Speaker|
|Best for Limited Range||ION Audio Tailgater (iPA77) | Portable Bluetooth PA Speaker with Mic & Radio|
|Best High End Pick||SOUNDBOKS 2 Tailgate Speaker|
|Best Budget Option||QFX PBX-61081BT Portable Bluetooth Party Speaker|
Our Top Pick: Aiwa Exos-9 Portable Bluetooth Speaker
With over 1600 5-star reviews on Amazon, this speaker is easily one of the best tailgate Bluetooth speakers out there.
Its clear and powerful sound, amazing bass, extensive sound settings and various connectivity options make it stand out from its competitors.
When it comes to sound, the Aiwa Exos-9 features 200 watts of continuous power and makes use of 5 powerful drivers. This includes two 1″ silk tweeters, two 3″ neodymium midrange drivers in their own acoustically isolated chamber to lessen harmonic distortion, and a 6.5″ dual voice coil woofer.
With the distortion-free sound, epic bass, crisp treble, and amazing stereo sound, this tailgate speaker certainly has the potential to make your neighbors complain or even draw the attention of local authorities.
You can take this speaker outdoors without worry as it weighs only 13 lbs and comes with a swappable battery that lasts up to 9 hours.
You can also set this tailgate speaker according to your ear’s preference because it has a 5-band equalizer. With these sound control features, this top tailgate speaker can be used for much more than just tailgating. You can listen to your favorite music genre in clear and distortion-free sound at loud volumes, be it indoors or outdoors.
This is a 1980’s boomer style tailgate speaker with 2015 components and engineering with a rechargeable lithium-ion battery. It comes with a warranty of two years. If you’re not happy with this Bluetooth speaker for some reason, you can ship it back and Aiwa even pays for return shipping.
What We Like:
- Extension Control Over Sound | The Aiwa Exos-9 has a 5-band onboard graphic equalizer. This means you can crank the bass, mids, or highs to your liking. There are 4 available pre-set options to choose from, or you can just fine-tune the EQ as you want.
- Various Connectivity Options | You can connect the Aiwa Exos-9 speaker to your iPhone, any Android device, iPad, Windows device, any Kindle tablet, PC, or Mac with aptX and A2DP support. It also supports Android NFC. Lastly, if wireless is not quite your thing, this tailgate speaker comes with a 3.5mm audio jack for direct connection.
- Extremely Loud Sound | This speaker features a whopping 200 watts of power and 5 drivers which make it loud enough for a proper tailgate party, but if you would like more power for a bigger party then you can link two of these beasts together.
Things to Consider:
- Not Waterproof | Although the Aiwa Exos-9 tailgate speaker is a great companion for the beach, camping or just any outdoor fun, it is not waterproof or even water-resistant.
Alternative Top Pick: ION Audio Road Warrior Tailgate Speaker
Alternative Top Pick
The first things you will notice on this system are the dual 10-inch woofers in front of this speaker that are more than capable of producing massive sound. You also get dual 1-inch tweeters to handle the highs.
There is the little control console in the center of the speaker which also features a small LCD screen in the center which will tell you battery life, volume level and what source you’re currently using – the radio or Bluetooth mode.
There are also lights in the woofers that you can control using the Light button in the control console.
Although this tailgate speaker weighs about 29 lbs, it is quite portable as ION has included a few handles on the speaker. You get a handle on each side of the speaker which makes it a lot easier to cart around. These party speakers also come with a handle that’s built-in on the top of the speaker. However, it is not quite as useful as the handles on the sides.
What We Like:
- Powerful Sound | This speaker features two 10-inch woofers and a whopping 500 watts of dynamic power. This means that you will not have to worry about whether this system will be able to rock your next tailgate party. It is more than capable of doing that.
- Connectivity Options | You can stream music wirelessly using Bluetooth or there’s a 3.5mm AUX input included as well for non-Bluetooth devices. It also comes with an onboard FM radio and a built-in USB 2.0 port that can charge your iPad, iPhone, Android device or other USB devices.
Things to Consider:
- Short Warranty Period | Normally, you would expect at least a year’s warranty when you buy a speaker in this range. And yes, you do get a warranty of one year when you purchase this tailgate speaker outside the USA. However, the warranty period for the USA is only 90 days. This is an important point that needs to be kept in mind.
Best for Limited Range: ION Audio Tailgater (iPA77) | Portable Bluetooth PA Speaker with Mic & Radio
Best for Limited Range
If you are looking for a not very high end tailgate speaker while also not compromising too much with the sound quality and other features, then the ION IPA77 could be the speaker you are looking for. This speaker (2015 version) is probably the most popular tailgate speaker in the market.
However, the latest version, compared to Aiwa Exos-9 and SOUNDBLOKS 2, the ION IPA77 seems inferior in every way, but you have to consider the price. The latest version of this tailgate speaker is affordable and would be yours for an affordable rate.
What we have here is the 2015 version which has got the best reviews for its sound clearity, bluetooth range and loud sound. This speaker has a peak power of 50 watts (read the FAQ section to know more about the relationship between watts and loudness of sound). This basically means that this speaker is good for a limited range.
It’s absolutely perfect if you want to pump a lot of music at the beach, park, various parties. It can fill a 100ft room without any problem. However, it may not be the best tailgate speaker for a large place with lots of people.
This speaker comes with a warranty for one year. However, you can extend this to three years if you would like.
What We Like:
- Connectivity Options| There are 1/8″ AUX input, mic input, radio button, Bluetooth button, two-track buttons (which you can use to find radio stations or to change the track), a master volume knob, play and pause button, and also a USB charging port.
- Long Battery Life | You will not have to worry about the playtime of this speaker. ION IPA77 comes with a built-in rechargeable battery. This battery lasts up to 50 hours. 50 hours is more than enough battery life for a good tailgate speaker.
Things to Consider:
- Not Waterproof| The ION IPA77 tailgate speaker is not waterproof or splash-proof. This tailgate speaker is not IPX certified.
- Useless AM/FM tuner | The radio antenna is not as durable as the rest of the speaker. It is flimsy. The reception of the radio antenna seems to be poor and there also seems to be quite a lot of static noise.
Best High End Pick: SOUNDBOKS 2 Tailgate Speaker
Best High End Pick
We can pretty much guarantee that you will get addicted to the music of SOUNDBOKS 2 only after one use. These are by far one of the best high-end tailgate speakers you will ever come across.
This is the loudest portable tailgate speaker in our list of best tailgate speakers.
Talking about its appearance, the black finish is extremely appealing and really makes the speakers stand out. Also, this high-end SOUNDBOKS 2 speaker can be mounted to a speaker pole. This overall elevates the speaker and also improves the audio performance for your listeners.
The next notable feature about this speaker is that not only is this premium speaker extremely durable, but it is weather-resistant as well. This means you don’t have to worry about anything compromising your live performances. The SOUNDBOKS 2 is not only optimized for indoor use, but for outdoor use as well. This lets you play louder and longer.
If the battery dies, you can easily keep the party going by replacing it with new ones. Also, the battery features an LED indicator to tell you how much more battery life you have remaining.
You can connect devices to SOUNDBOKS 2 via Bluetooth or with the provided AUX cable through the ⅛” input. Lastly, this speaker comes with a warranty for 2 years.
What We Like:
- Durable Design| The SOUNDBOKS 2 tailgate speaker is built to last. It is water-resistant, dirt-resistant and completely splash-proof. It also has heavy-duty built-in handles, aluminum frame, birch cabinet and ball corners.
- Portable and Wireless | This premium speaker is very portable. You can travel anywhere with SOUNDBOKS 2 without worrying about the weight as it is very lightweight, and set it up anywhere without worrying about the chords as it is completely wireless. And since the speaker only weighs 33 lbs, even your grandma can help you pick it up!
- Long Battery Life | This speaker comes with a swappable battery pack made of Lithium Iron Phosphate. A full charge will last you an average of 40 hours, and it only takes about 3.5 hours to recharge it completely.
- Loud Quality Sound | This tailgate speaker features the loudest sound at 122dBs. It has a crisp treble and, of course, huge bass. Overall, it has an excellent outdoor sound quality.
Best Budget Option: QFX PBX-61081BT Portable Bluetooth Party Speaker
Best Budget Option
This party speaker is a versatile and affordable tailgate speaker that works wonders at any event it is used for. You can use this to pump out music at parties or amplify announcements.
It’s packed with useful features discussed below making it our pick for the best budget tailgate speaker.
Transportation of the QFX Bluetooth party speaker is effortless. This is because it has a handle and wheels much like a suitcase. It can be easily stored in your car trunk or any other space that seems fit.
Talking about the sound, even though it is an affordable tailgate speaker under $100, it produces great quality sound. The amplifier and 8-inch woofer are there to make sure that everyone can hear their favorite songs clearly and the sound quality is always at its peak.
Because of its innovative design that allows for ease of transport, its durability, and sound quality, the QFX party speaker is one of the most purchased tailgate speakers in the world. It comes with a warranty for one year.
What We Like:
- Ease of transport | The most notable feature of the QFX party speaker has to be its seamless transportation capability. The wheels and handle make it effortless to take this speaker anywhere you want.
- Various Options to Play | You can connect your devices to this budget speaker via Bluetooth. You can also insert a Micro-SD or connect via a USB cable. This speaker also comes with a microphone and AUX inputs. If you want, you can play FM Radio on this great tailgate speaker as well.
- Value for Money | This speaker is louder than you think. It produces loud and clear sound, has various connectivity options. Its effortless transportation and great battery life make it the best budget tailgate speaker. It definitely provides you value for your money.
Things to Consider:
- No water resistance| One thing that this affordable QFX tailgate speaker lacks is water resistance. While it may be a small concern, you will need to be careful especially if you are taking this speaker to a place where it might come in contact with water.
Frequently Asked Questions
My phone is not connecting to an already paired speaker. What should I do?
There is a possibility that your phone or tablet may already be paired with something else. You should reset the Bluetooth on your phone (or tablet, iPad etc) in Bluetooth settings.
Try turning Bluetooth OFF and then ON again from the Bluetooth settings. If this doesn’t work, then select your Bluetooth speaker in your phone settings, and choose the Forget or Unpair option. Now, pair your device again.
This will reset any existing Bluetooth connections and allow you to smoothly connect to the Bluetooth speaker again.
Can I leave the speaker connected to electricity all the time or will that hurt the battery?
Back in the day, batteries had a kind of memory and battery usage did dictate the life and power of the speaker. However, newer wireless speakers are much more durable and less prone to usage affecting life and indeed the available power.
So, in most cases, you can leave it plugged and the battery should charge as needed. However, if you are too concerned about it, you can contact the manufacturer or read the user manual.
How is a Bluetooth speaker different from a Wi-Fi Speaker?
Bluetooth speakers are very different from Wi-Fi-based audio systems. First of all, Bluetooth speakers are wireless and they are not limited to a specific spot. However, Wi-Fi speakers, on the other hand, are installed permanently in a single fixed location.
Secondly, portable Bluetooth speakers directly connect to your phone or tablet, whereas, Wi-Fi speakers require the Wi-Fi connectivity to connect the audio source and your device.
Why should I consider the wattage of Bluetooth speakers?
The wattage of a Bluetooth speaker will determine the sound output and overall playing time od the speaker. Low-end Bluetooth speakers are going to have low wattage, simply because they generally have only a single speaker. As you increase the price, speakers will start to have a twin-channel stereo or 2.1 channel sound with a subwoofer.
Basically, if you want to throw a party at your home, you must go for a larger wireless speaker which has a high wattage. This is because the volume of sound output is directly proportional to the wattage of a speaker.
Other Worthy Mentions
These are ones that didn’t quite make the cut as one of the top picks but are still interesting enough to be worth a look.
This is another one of the best budget tailgate speakers on Amazon. For it’s price, it produces a huge stereo sound with 2 x 4-inch Hi-Fi speakers.
- There are treble, bass and volume knobs to fine-tune the EQ.
- This budget tailgate speaker has an LED light that shines a stylish blue glow through the speaker.
- It has a handle to make transportation easier.
- This affordable tailgate speaker also has a long-lasting battery.
This is a great tailgate speaker from a reputable brand Sony. You can plug a microphone into this portable speaker whenever you want to be the party MC.
- This good tailgate speaker comes with a rechargeable battery that lasts up to 16 hours.
- You can easily control sound and light effects with the Sony-music center app.
- You can connect up to 10 compatible wireless speakers and enjoy the same song in all of them.
- It has a two-way design and a built-in handle for portability.
Here is another good tailgate speaker from ION with Bluetooth, AUX input and an onboard AM/FM radio
- It has a 100-watt peak power amplifier and an 8-inch woofer.
- This tailgate speaker has a rechargeable battery that lasts up to 50 hours.
- This also comes with a road-ready cabinet and a telescoping handle for hassle-free transport.
This is a very good waterproof tailgate speaker on Amazon. It has great features for any indoor or outdoor event.
- This tailgate speaker is IP67 Certified dustproof & waterproof.
- It has an adjustable bass & treble, and also 5 music genre presets.
- You can keep your phone and accessories in its waterproof removable storage compartment.
- You can connect 2 EcoBoulders together for greater music experience.
- It has a 100-watts dynamic power amplifier.
This tailgate speaker system features a good bass and an equalizer. You can also use your phone equalizer for even more bass.
- This speaker has a peak power of 1000 watts.
- This portable tailgate speaker also features flashing disco LED lights.
- It has a USB flash drive and SD card reader, as well as a 3.5mm AUX input, RCA, an MP3 player, and 2.25” microphone or guitar input for karaoke.