As kids grow, finding things to excite them becomes harder. They enter into the developmental stage of their lives and they want to try everything. One of the best toys you can get them is a bike.
However, you cannot get them just any bike, you have to get them a toddler bike. Toddler bikes are different from small-sized bikes. A small sized bike is one that fits a toddler size-wise. On the other hand, a toddler-bike is one that has features that are perfect for a toddler.
Getting a toddler bike is no easy job. You have to make sure that you give your kids the best option available and since they are so many products on the market, it could be a chore to make the right choice. In this article, we’d be looking at some of the best toddler bikes available in 2020.
The Best Toddler Bikes Reviewed
|Top Pick||RoyalBaby Girls Kids Bike Stargirl|
|Alternative Top Pick||RoyalBaby Freestyle Kid’s Bike for Boys and Girls|
|Best High End Pick||Schwinn Koen Boy’s Bike, Featuring SmartStart Frame|
|Best Budget Option||Nickelodeon Paw Patrol Bicycle for Kids|
Our Top Pick: RoyalBaby Girls Kids Bike Stargirl
This bike is one of the best toddler bikes on the market. Although it is marked out for a girl, there are two variants. The second is a light blue and pink and if you really like it, you can have off the ribbons and add some cool DIY designs that your son likes more.
A lot of people did this simply because the features offered were just too good to miss out on. Firstly, this bike is durable and yet simple. It doesn’t have any excessive designs and is made from HI TEN steel and other environment-friendly materials.
It comes in 12-inch, 14-inch, 16-inch, and 18-inch sizes. This gives you a wide choice for the right size for your toddler. All variants have a really nice basket that can be used to carry some things.
On this bike, you’ll find both a rear coaster brake and front handbrakes for easy stopping. This bike is safe, durable, and just right for a toddler.
What We Like:
- Dual Brakes | This bike model has two brakes for easy stopping. Your toddler has two brake options and this makes it safer. The brake levers are also detachable.
- Safety Features | This bike has a lot of safety features that make it very safe for your toddler. It has an enclosed chain guard, dual brakes, non-slip pedals, and soft-grip hand bars.
- Easy Assembly and Maintenance | The bike comes almost fully assembled. In less than twenty minutes, it will be up and running. It also has a one-piece crank which makes it easy to maintain.
- Training Wheels and Kickstands | The first two sizes come with heavy-duty training wheels to assist your toddler in learning how to ride. The last two come with bike kickstands for your child’s convenience.
Things to Consider:
- Few Color Choices | There are few color options and if your child doesn’t like pink, they won’t like this bike.
- No Bell | This toddler bike doesn’t come with a bell.
Alternative Top Pick: RoyalBaby Freestyle Kid’s Bike for Boys and Girls
Alternative Top Pick
This freestyle bike is a bike your toddler would love. In addition, it’s one that you can rest easy after buying because of how durable and safe it is built.
It comes in five different sizing options so that it can offer you a choice for your child despite his or her age. There is the option for 12-inch wheels, 14-inch wheels, 16-inch wheels, 18-inch wheels, and 20-inch wheels.
The 12 and 14-inch models have training wheels while the 16-inch model has both training wheels and a kickstand. The 18 and 20-inch models have just kickstands. The kickstands and training wheels are all made of reinforced steel.
It features a bell, a water bottle holder, and an adjustable seat post. The adjustable seat posts will let you set the bike at a comfortable height for your toddler. The seat itself is cushioned and padded to make it really comfortable for a kid.
What We Like:
- Dual Breaks | One of the best things about this bike is that it features both a rear coaster brake and a front caliper brake. The fact that this bike has two makes it much easier for it to stop when needed.
- Heavy-duty Wheels | The training wheels and pneumatic wheels fitted on this bike are heavy-duty and are designed to take frequent and rough rides on various surfaces. Most importantly, it has a durable thickened steel frame in addition to the wheels made of pneumatic rubber and so, you can be assured that the bike is safe enough for your toddler.
- Comfortable and Durable Build | The frame and all other parts of the bike are made of durable materials. The exciting part is that these materials are not only durable, but they are also comfortable. The seat and the pedals are built with materials that make them comfortable to use.
- Adjustability | Despite having 5 available sizes of this model, you can still adjust every model. The seat posts, saddle bars, and hand bars are all adjustable so that your toddler is extremely comfortable.
- Easy Assembly | The bike comes almost fully assembled and so in a few minutes after delivery, your toddler could be cycling happily. All the materials that you need to assemble it included in the packaging.
Things to Consider:
- No Carriage Basket | Sadly, this toddler bike doesn’t come with a front carriage basket. If you purchase this model, you would have to make do with the bell. Alternatively, you could make use of some DIY steps and fit a basket in for your toddler.
Best High End Pick: Schwinn Koen Boy’s Bike, Featuring SmartStart Frame
Best High End Pick
Schwinn Koen toddler’s bike is a great choice for your toddler. It has a lot of features that make it a must-have for your toddler and for you.
Although it is marked as a boy bike, that is simply because of the design as several people have purchased it for girls.
For starters, it has a durable frame made of steel and fashioned into sized that are very suitable for children.
The frame design is known as Smart Start. Due to thoughtful manufacturing, kids can pedal and maneuver or control this bike very easily.
When it comes to the build, it weighs a simple 90 pounds which is heavy enough for proper balance and light enough for easy control. In addition, it comes in different sizes to fit children of ages 2 to 6 and above. The first size [size 12-inch wheels] is perfect for toddlers aged 2-4. It is durable, comfortable, and even comes with training wheels to avoid any accidents.
The 14-inch is fine for 3-4 and the 16-inch is for 3-5. The other sizes, 18-inch wheels, and 20-inch wheels are for age groups 5-7 and 6 and above respectively. Each of these bikes is size-appropriate.
The 12-inch, 14-inch, 16-inch 18-inch, and 20-inch models have some similarities. Apart from the general high-quality material used to make them, another similarity they have is that they all have an adjustable saddle and even a seat-tube with a slack angle meaning that it can be adjusted as your child increases in height.
All sizes of the bikes also come with kickstands and chain guards. The chain guards protect your toddler’s hands and feet during rides.
Schwinn Koen toddler’s bike is built to be extremely comfortable, durable, and child-friendly. The light frame, easy-to-grip handles are just some of the features that betray how comfortable this bike actually is. In addition, it has both coaster brakes and caliper brakes.
What We Like:
- Adjustable | All sizes of this bike have adjustable saddles and seat-tubes which lets you use them for longer periods as your toddler grows.
- Comfortable | Padded saddle for comfort even after long periods on the bike. The build of the frame also makes it quite comfortable.
- Easy to Assemble | Can easily be assembled with limited tools and in a short period.
- Dual Brakes | This bike has both a rear coaster brake and a front caliper brake. When your toddler gets used to this, using a handbrake would be so easy.
- Smart Start Frame | Each of the sizes is made with the same durable steel frame. The frame features a narrow pedal position design and smaller grip diameters so that it can be extremely comfortable and yet durable for your toddler.
Best Budget Option: Nickelodeon Paw Patrol Bicycle for Kids
Best Budget Option
This paw patrol themed bike is favorited by a lot of toddlers.
It has a paw patrol design which is a big winner for kids.
All around the bike, pictures of their favorite paw patrol dogs are available to take them around.
It comes in different sizes and even different colors so that you can get boy and girl variants. You can get 12-inch for 2-4 years and 14-inch for 5-7 and above. You can get both of these sizes in pink, aqua, and purple theme or in the blue, yellow and red theme.
This bike is not only safe but it is also durable and safe. It comes with a chain guard which means that your child’s legs are protected from any injuries from the chain. It is built durably and so your toddler can use it for years to come.
What We Like:
- Fun Theme | The paw patrol theme really attracts toddlers. There are wheel covers with paw patrol dogs on them and even the seats have paw patrol dogs. The handlebar plate, chain guard, and even the frame are covered in paw patrol designs. Yet it doesn’t go over-the-top.
- Removable Training Wheels | The bikes come with removable training wheels. While your toddler is still training, the wheels can be on and when they are confident enough, you can take them off without any extra costs.
- Comfortable Seat | This bike’s seat is very comfortable for toddlers. It is padded so that they can sit without the leather digging into their skin.
- Easy to Assemble | If you make use of an adjustable wrench, you can have the bike up and running in less than thirty minutes.
- Bag Pack in Front | Rather than having a basket, this bike has a paw patrol bag in the front to replace the basket. If your child loves paw patrol, they will go crazy over this bike.
Things to Consider:
- No Bell | Unfortunately, this bike doesn’t come with a bell or horn.
- No Pneumatic Tires | The tires are not pneumatic and are not as strong as we would have liked them to be. Your toddler shouldn’t take this bike out on very rough surfaces.
- Single Brake | This bike has just one foot brake.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I know the bike size for my toddler?
Although each bike manufacturer will have special sizing, on average, they are similar. 12-inch wheels usually fit children between 33.4 inches to 41.3 inches. This is usually age 2-4. 14- inch bikes fit toddlers who measure 37.4 inches to 47.2 inches. This is usually age 3-5. 16-inch bikes usually fit toddlers of 41.3- 53.0 inches; age 4-7. 18-inch wheels usually fit children who measure 45.2 to 59.0 inches; age 5-9. 20-inch wheels usually fit children who are 53.2 to 65.0 inches; age 7 and above.
How do you assemble bikes?
Each bike will come with instructions since they are not all the same. If you buy a good bike, it will give you all the materials you need to assemble them. You would likely need only an adjustable wrench.
What type of frame should I choose for a toddler bike?
For toddlers, it is best to go with a light steel frame. A light steel frame will be durable and light enough for your toddler to move around. It will also be strong enough to withstand frequent use.
Should you buy a bike with a rear coaster brake or a handbrake?
A rear coaster brake stops backpedaling and requires no skill. A handbrake requires a little more skill. Since a rear coaster brake stops backpedaling, it might annoy your toddler at first since toddlers tend to try backpedaling. However, in the long run, it is fine. It really depends on what you want. However, it is best to go for one with both.
Other Worthy Mentions
If you haven’t found what you like, here are some other options.
This 12-inch bike is suitable for ages 2-4-year-olds. It features a coaster brake and a durable steel frame.
- Easily adjustable training wheels
- A padded and designed handlebar
- Lifetime warranty on frame and fork
- Beautiful green and black frame and fork design
- Lightweight and easy to maneuver
This JOYSTAR bike comes in three sizes to give you a wide range of options. It is made of a strong HI-TEN steel frame.
- Easy to use coaster breaks and hand brake are fitted in
- The saddle comes with space for your hands to hold when assisting them
- Removable training wheels are fitted
- The 18-inch variant has a kickstand
- Features a chain guard
This model is a 12-inch bike with a beautiful gloss blue frame and fork. It features a padded seat and comfortable grips to make it easier to use for toddlers.
- Features an alloy seat post adjustment so you can make it just the right size
- Has both hand brakes and coaster brakes
- Has a beautiful car theme which enhances the glossy shade
- Durable steel frame and fork
- Protective chain guard to avoid injuries
This bike has a unisex and durable steel design. It comes in 12-inch, 14-inch, and 16-inch sizes.
- Beautifully designed chain guard for safety
- Removable training wheels attached
- DIY decal to let your child customize their name in the frame or chain guard
- Has hand brake and coaster brake
- Easy to assemble for use
This bike has a durable steel white and pink design. It is just right for pink lovers who want a durable bike.
- Comes in 12-inch and 14-inch sizes
- Removable training wheels to assist
- Has both coaster brake and hand brake
- Quick-release seat so parents can easily adjust without tools
- Padded saddle for comfort
Coewske bike comes in 14-inch and 16-inch sizes. It has a sporty theme and a durable steel frame
- Features both handbrake and coaster brake
- Heavy-duty tires to withstand frequent use
- Wide foot pedal design to give your toddler more room to place feet
- Full chain-guard to protect your toddler’s leg ad feet
- Padded seat for comfortable rides
This PJ Masks 12-inch bicycle is a good choice for your son or daughter especially if they love PJ masks.
- Durable steel frame with PJ masks theme
- Beautifully designed saddle with pads for comfort
- Removable training wheels for learning riders
- Features coaster brakes that are easy to use
- Easy to assemble in a short time frame